Sunday, August 08, 2004

Wordy Rappinghood

First, an addendum to the last post. Roxi did indeed experience some after-effects from her immunizations: a low-grade fever for 2 days and general fussiness. The Tylenol we gave her for the fever also seemed to make her sluggish and sleepy. So she wasn't our normal sunshine girl until today. Saturday night, in fact, I took her to Urgent Care because she cried for a half hour straight. Now, I understand that babies cry, but Roxi had never screamed so loud for so long before ... and I got scared. The diagnosis? Gas. The very sweet nurses and doctor were polite enough not to call me an overly paranoid and ridiculous mom (at least not to my face).

The upshot of all of this is that Roxi is just super now. Rob and I drove her all over the place today: to brunch at a fun Mexican place in Old Town, to the bookstore, to our favorite second-hand children's clothing store (we were shopping for a semi-fancy outfit for her to wear to a wedding next weekend) and then to Denver, where she met Rob's high school bud Sheryl and her husband Kevin who were driving through town. Roxi was a dreamboat the entire day.

But I digress. The reason I'm typing this post is to document Roxi's first pseudo-words. She's turned into quite the proficient gurgler. And she seems to have picked up a love of Mexican food from her Grandpa Wessel ... if you listen very carefully, she clearly will say "hola" and "guac" among her other babbles. Otherwise, it's a lot of "a-goo" and "ahhh" and "oooo". Rob has requested that we work on "dada" more. I won't be surprised if her first intentional word is "monkey" (her favorite toy to date) or "swingies" (her favorite activity) or "manatee" (the subject of my current favorite book of hers, which I read to her daily). Or she might start with "NO! (insert cat name here)!" - a common exclamation in our house.