Monday, August 02, 2004

Soggy Shoulders

Hooo-eeee, the chile can drool. When I put Roxi on my shoulder to burp her, she chews on my neck. When she's in her car seat, she attempts to eat one of the straps. Last week, she was laying next to her dad on the sofa and starting chowing on his clothes ... giving "eat my shorts" a whole new meaning for the ol' Tusselwupper family. So there are drooly spots all over the place these days. At one time in my life, I would have thought that was gross. Now, it's precious. Go figure.

Roxi found her feet today; the first time that's happened as far as I can remember. We went to meet Rob for lunch. Roxi was sporting her stripy orange and yellow socks that her Nanna bought for her. And dang if she didn't stare at them for half the lunch. Time to break out the foot rattles, methinks.

August 5 marks the Roxster's 2-month birthday. Instead of a big cake and party, she gets to go to the doctor for her first immunizations. I suspect this will come up in therapy somewhere down the line. Anyway, Rob and I are looking forward to the visit so we can ask the long list of questions we've been compiling and so we can see how much our little peanut has grown. She's already starting to pop out of her newborn (0-3 month) clothes and is getting ever stronger (oy, the girl can kick!). Can't wait to find out the particulars. I'm dreading the immunization part though. Other new moms tell me they cried as much as their babies. Yipes.

As far as looks go, I'm starting to see more and more of Rob in her, particularly in the eyes and nose. She and her dad also stretch in exactly the same way and have the same warm core temperature. I can tell I'm going to be wearing a lot of sweatshirts in the future; I'll be outnumbered when it comes time to set the thermostat. Other physical notes: her nose "acne" has almost cleared up completely, the birthmark on her forehead is about the same, she's developed a bit of a heat rash that flares up during hot car rides, her eyelashes are a mile long and dark now, the Buddha belly is looking good and her head is lopsided because she always looks right. Asleep or awake, she just prefers looking to the right. I've read that this is normal, that most babies favor one side or the other and get funky head shapes as a result, but Rob and I are going to ask the doc about it on Thursday anyway.

Going out to eat has become a bit of a challenge. Whereas before she would sleep through outings, now she gets excited by new surroundings. She doesn't want to miss anything, I guess. This is cool, stimulus-wise, but she ends up making herself overtired and then a fuss biscuit soon after. Think it'll be take-out for us when we want a treat until she gets over this phase.

Good news though, Roxi had her first slumber party and did great. We all went to Boulder and spent the night with good friends Scott and Renee (along with Denver buds Jen and Mike) on Saturday. Cookout, bocce tournament, hanging out, loud outbursts ... Roxi dealt with it all like a champ and slept just like she normally does. Gold star for the girl! This bodes very well for our North Carolina trip at the end of the month.